Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day Weekend

I started off the weekend early Saturday morning in the kitchen. I was baking up a storm in preparation for a picnic we were having that afternoon with my parents, my brother, his wife, and all of her family. My contribution was to bring a few odds and ends and some desserts. I made Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Butter Cream Frosting. The cupcakes themselves had a hint of lemon, and were like a pound cake, yet light and airy. The zinger was the lemon butter cream frosting that was oh so tart. They were so delicious, and I know, because I ate way too many!!

We made our way to Dixon Lake in Escondido, and were welcomed by a spread of goodies, and family. Dave took the kids exploring, as they started the BBQ, and I joined them on their first hike down to the lake. The kids were busy busy, and found themselves playing on the play structure, kicking soccer balls, or going on more adventures.













Dave was a true hero, and took the boys on an extra long hike to the boat dock, where they rented a paddle boat for an hour. I'm sure the boys were tons of help, but I know Dave got a good leg workout in as well. Afterwards they hiked back, and were talking endlessly of their adventures. What a great daddy!!









We finished the evening, packed up the cars and headed home..


Sunday morning we made Daddy a waffle breakfast with homemade Buttermilk Syrup and then busily got ready so we could get out the door. We played hooky from Stake Conference (I have a hard time sitting still myself for that long) and went down to Doheny Beach with our new tent trailer. We set it up quickly and had a day at the beach, and our first outing with our new camping toy. Unlike Saturday which was cloudy and chilly, Father's Day was a beautiful sunny day with not a cloud in the sky. We finished up the evening with s'mores and put the kiddies to bed.


Happy Father's Day to all you wonderful Dad's out there!!

2 comments:

Sassy Lu said...

What a fun day.....and what some great pictures!!! Dang, those kids are cute! Sadly, I have to stop each time I see the boys and try to figure out which one is which. So sad living so far apart from all of these darling neices and nephews! Thanks for keeping us all up to date. Have fun with that new trailer tent!

Mary said...

Great weekend! Your kids look so tan and grown up and fun!

I admit we skipped church on father's day too - when I asked Randy what he wanted to do for the day, he said, "Not teach Sunday School." So we had a great family day instead.