Monday, August 17, 2009

It's time to go home Norman

No, his name is not Norman. I am trying to protect the innocent, so we will hence forth refer to this individual as Norman.

The neighbor kid, the only child that practically lives at my house, or on my wall connecting his home to ours. Yes we have three busy loud little boys to play with, so I do understand his need to be a part of the constant chaos that is my home. But when I say, "It's time to go home Norman", and he gathers his shoes and walks home that means that we are done playing with you today Norman.

It does not mean to come to our back fence in our yard, and to hang out through the fence, even though the sun has set, and I'm ready for my kids to settle down for the evening.

It does not mean to scream loudly with laughter so that the entire neighborhood wonders if someone is in pain, or just really really happy. I also don't like that the scream originates from my house. I have enough of that from my own children.

It does not mean to sit on the wall between our two yards and yell and boss my children about. That is my job, certainly not yours.

Where are your parents? They are home, they can hear you. What are they doing? I feel bad that you are lonely, but I can only have you at my house for so many hours in one day.

I know that it is fun to come here, and they are fun kids, after all they are mine.

But sometimes too much of a good thing is exactly that,

TOO MUCH!!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Too much indeed! We noticed him hanging out on the wall during our stay and I wondered how you felt about his constant presence. Yikes!

Rachelle said...

tasha!! hi girl!!! i just wanted to say hi and see how you all were doing. looks like its been a super fun/busy summer!!

Sassy Lu said...

We have had a few "Norman's" since we moved into this house too. You feel so bad for the child, but like you said, you can only do so much. I always wanted to go over and give the parents a piece of my mind, but never dared. I finally made a bright red,magnetic sign for my front door to signal when it's ok and when it's not ok to knock on the door. It helped a lot, but there are still those kids who are oblivious to it. Good luck with your "Norman"!