Thursday, November 20, 2008


This morning we had a bit if a breakdown. This morning it was over breakfast, and I wasn't the one having it.

Every morning I wake, Dave rousts the kids from bed, and I busily prepare breakfast, and pack lunches. It is my routine. If I was more prepared, I might have the boys pack their own lunches the night before, but again if I was more prepared.

I also don't have the variety of kid that likes cereal. I scored big this summer on over 30 boxes of name brand cereal, even sugary kid ones, for less than 50 cents a box, and I still have over half of it. They like to snack on cereal, but they like mom to make breakfast. Which means eggs, pancakes, and other cooking involved. Waffles and french toast are not options, they are weekend breakfasts, because honestly they take too much time and prep work.

So this morning I asked a simple question, "eggs or pancakes?" Josh replied "Eggs" and as I started preparing the eggs, Daniel mutters "toast". "OK not an option, and I already started on the eggs", I muttered. I think this was taken as some sort of personal attack on Daniel, because I was making Josh's choice instead of his. We were also out of toast. I had used the last few pieces for lunches and we were fresh out. I made eggs and as I was about to give Daniel his I was met with tears. "You're mean" that is what he said. I am mean for making my children breakfast every morning (Can you tell I'm venting a bit too) and for not meeting his requests this morning. He settled for an english muffin, and the tears were gone before he left for school. Maybe he just didn't get enough sleep, or it was just an off morning, or maybe it's something all together different.

Now just to be fair, tomorrow, this will be Josh that I am somehow being unfair to, and not perfectly pleasing with his breakfast choice. Despite all this I enjoy feeding my boys (Dave included) breakfast each morning, and knowing that I started their day off on the right foot. Today was a left foot day for some people, but tomorrow we'll get it right. Now to enjoy a perfectly perfect breakfast for myself, by myself while the little ones still sleep (a rare occasion indeed)

3 comments:

Sassy Lu said...

Mornings can be tricky!!! I have one child that is definetly NOT a morning person, so we just neva know what we're gonna get! You're such a good Mom to cook for them each morning. I don't ever eat until the kids are off to school. It's my wind down time. I hope you enjoyed yours this morning!!!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

You are such a good mom to cook every morning! I'm glad you like the Brazilian Lemonade too- we drink it year round as well, so I say go for it!

Random, but are you in San Clemente? (don't worry, I swear I'm not a stalker, I saw the RS blog on your profile!) My Mom grew up near there and we used to spend our summers on the beach. I have such happy memories there!

-Sara
(from our best bites)

eight muddy feet said...

Sara~

Why yes I am in San Clemente.

You have a huge fan base here. There was a large group of us from BBC (OC gals) that love love your recipes. I tell everyone what good recipes you guys have.